Want to be on Simonton City Council? Now's Your Chance.
The City of Simonton has posted the statutorily required “Notice of Deadline to File an Application For Place on the Ballot” for the City Council election slated for May 6th, 2023.
(Note that the notice was actually posted some time prior to 6:40 pm on Saturday, December 17th – although the notice was certified to have been posted two days later on Monday, December 19th, 2022).
When can you pick up your packet and file for a position on the ballot?
Beginning Wednesday, January 18th, residents may go by Simonton City Hall and pick up a candidate packet. Don’t wait though, the filing deadline is February 17, 2023 at 5:00 pm.
There are a number of things that candidates should know.
- Simonton does not have “wards”, “districts” or “positions” to run for. There are three (3) “At Large” positions on the ballot.
- The election is a popularity contest in that the three candidates with the highest number of votes will win the three positions.
- Each council member serves two year terms.
- There is no cost to pick up a packet and file for a place on the ballot.
- You will need to declare if you will spend more than $500. If so, you will need to file campaign finance reports with the City Elections Administrator (usually the City Secretary).
- There is no compensation for service on City Council.
- Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month. Other meetings may be called as / if needed.
- You must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years old on the date of the election; and
- Be a registered voter;
- Have lived in the State of Texas for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the filing date for the election, and in your city or ward for at least 6 months prior to the filing date for the election.
Serving in your city’s government can be a personally rewarding experience. If you want to learn more about running for City Council, the Texas Municipal League (TML) has a great document that will answer your questions in more detail.
Remember that the last day to file is Friday, February 17, 2023 at 5:00 pm.
On behalf of others in our community, please know that we appreciate your willingness to run and to serve.